State Rep. Seth Grove has proposed legislation law that would prohibit local municipalities from enacting mandatory leave requirements for employers. Grove’s move comes after Philadelphia’s City Council approved a paid leave ordinance, only to have Mayor Michael Nutter veto it.
Grove described sick leave ordinances as “unfair to small businesses.”
The law would make it illegal for local governments to mandate any leave not already required by state or federal law. Ordinances already in place would be grandfathered in. If passed, Pennsylvania would join 12 other states that have passed similar legislation.
- Keep cases from escalating: When hot-headed manager blows up, order cooling-off period
- How far can we go to discipline employees for criticizing us online?
- Medical certification of need for accommodation is unclear?
- A 'sledgehammer' to social media policies
- Justice Department Settles First USERRA Class Action Suit