State Rep. Seth Grove has proposed legislation law that would prohibit local municipalities from enacting mandatory leave requirements for employers. Grove’s move comes after Philadelphia’s City Council approved a paid leave ordinance, only to have Mayor Michael Nutter veto it.
Grove described sick leave ordinances as “unfair to small businesses.”
The law would make it illegal for local governments to mandate any leave not already required by state or federal law. Ordinances already in place would be grandfathered in. If passed, Pennsylvania would join 12 other states that have passed similar legislation.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Accommodations may differ, but you must make sure they're fair to all disabled workers
- Keep Facebook from frittering away employee productivity
- Regularly review wage-and-hour compliance
- Want arbitration agreement to stick? Get expert help, especially with translation