by Kimberly Deas
With so much being done on social media, search engines, like Google, have changed how they decide what websites are displayed when someone searches for a topic. This is the page ranking of a website.
Search engines are using more and more “social signals” to determine where a website will rank. The higher a website ranks, the more traffic that goes to the website and the more sales a company gets.
Here are five tips for leveraging your social media to increase your page ranking:
- Include a link to the appropriate page on your website in your posts. This increases the credibility of that page in relation to the topic. Make sure the webpage is about the topic you mention.
- Include a hashtag with the topic (like: #football or #halloween) to increase the visibility of your content to other users.
- Be interesting. Have a conversation about what your business does best and get comments. The best posts get likes and comments.
- Respond to comments. If someone is talking to you on social media, have a conversation in return. This creates a social signal that is noticed and that can increase your credibility on your topic.
- Leverage all the social platforms, especially the ones that Google owns. Since Google owns the vast majority of search traffic, “playing” on their platforms increases your visibility to them. So make sure you are using Google+ and YouTube.
Social media is not just a way to keep in touch; it is drastically affecting the way business is done.
Kimberly Deas combines her 10+ years’ experience in telecommunications with a background in personal coaching and results-oriented training.