In today’s competitive job market, employers are looking for human resources professionals who keep up to date with the continuously changing employment laws and have top HR management skills. Online degrees and certificates are extremely helpful to busy HR pros who want to boost their skills and become even more of an asset to their organizations, or professionals who would like to start a career in human resources.
Business Management Daily’s editors have chosen their top five favorite schools that offer online degrees or certificate programs in HR.
“These programs are really important to helping HR pros build their skills and grow their careers,” says Business Management Daily’s Senior Web Editor Elizabeth Hall.
Here are Business Management Daily editors’ top five picks for schools with online HR programs (in no particular order):
- Ashford University: Offers a bachelor of arts in Human Resources Management, which prepares students for jobs as business managers, human resources managers, HR generalists or specialists, and HR business analysts. Students learn about the ethic, legal and social factors that shape today’s workplace. The courses in this program cover a variety of subjects, including compensation and benefits, and recruitment and training.
- Michigan State University: Offers a master certificate in Strategic Human Resource Management. Students in the professional development program learn everything from HR management skills to methods for promoting high-performance talent.
- Penn State World Campus: Offers a master’s of professional studies in Human Resources and Employment Relations. The program covers human resources management, labor and employment law, and compensation, among other HR-related topics.
- University of Denver: Offers certificates and master’s degrees in both Global Human Resources and Human Resource Management and Development. The Global Human Resources programs examine the impact of world issues, laws and other international business topics as they relate to HR strategy. In the Human Resource Management and Development programs, students learn how to manage organizational change and other workplace issues.
- Walden University: Offers a certificate program and master’s degree in Human Resource Management. The certificate program helps students gain the skills necessary to managing a company’s employees with best practices in position planning, recruitment and retention. The master’s degree program provides students with the strategic, management, analytical and organizational skills necessary to being an HR professional. SHRM recognizes that the degree is fully in line with its 2011 edition of HR Curriculum Guidebook and Templates, which helps define the standards for human resources education.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Free resources celebrating Administrative Professionals Week will help admins take effective meeting minutes
- Business alert: Top 3 employer mistakes and how to avoid them
- Free report offers beneficial techniques for improving office organization
- Business Management Daily's editors choose their top 5 favorite companies that offer leadership development training