Does your energy level at work take December off?

Question: “When the holidays kick in, everyone in my office slowly winds down and puts in less and less general effort. There’s so much vacation planning going on, excitement over the time off, discussions of our plans, ‘innocent’ online shopping, short awkward weeks… we all get into a mode of thinking that we’ll really get back into the swing in the new year, and so it feels like we’re in slow motion from Thanksgiving onward. I think it’s totally natural to run out of energy at the end of the year, but I have a co-worker who thinks it’s sort of irresponsible. Does anyone else see this phenomenon?” – Blair, Receptionist

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/37293/does-your-energy-level-at-work-take-december-off "

Sharon December 5, 2013 at 6:52 pm

My employer pays me to be productive and efficient. My year end efforts start in October so that I have everything in place for the new year.

People do seem to slow down in December and people do talk about holiday plans. This is good for business though because it breaks down barriers and builds relationships which foster better teamwork and communication.

Not everyone enjoys holidays but most do. Don’t worry about pleasing others or finding fault with them. Just make sure you are still taking care of business even if the pace slows some. Maybe it the pace slowed some due to successful preparation.

Just enjoy the holiday season. They are life and time markers. I celebrate Christmad and really enjoy this time of year when everyone seems to be a little nicer than usual.

Jon December 4, 2013 at 11:54 am

Really the problem is that everyone’s going to run out of steam just before a big breaking point in the calendar that “resets” things. To make things worse, December is loaded with holidays at the end. Tough to fault people for getting a little unfocused, because those are two big obstacles!

Ava December 3, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I think this is totally natural. Everyone’s got a serious case of mental exhaustion by the time December rolls around. For some reason we start leaning on the “new year” thing to wake ourselves up and make resolutions. It doesn’t make much logical sense, but that’s the way people are, so why fight it?

Cathy November 27, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I think that “slowing down” with the approach of the holidays depends on what type of work is done in the company. Our clients expect reports before the end of the year so the majority of us are pretty busy right up to Christmas . . . we just don’t have time to put in less effort or slow down. Just ignore the complaining the co-worker – nothing you say will change his/her mind.

DeeCee November 27, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I wish I had the option of slacking off at that time. It’s my busiest time at work, so I come home tired and I just cut way back on Christmas and holiday decorating and activities. If I could afford to be more lax in my work so that I had more time for shopping, decorating, preparing, and just enjoying the season, I probably would.

Karen November 27, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I agree with Lisa! I management doesn’t have an issue with the general atmosphere of “holiday relaxation”, let her complaints go in one year and out the other!
Maybe she’s depressed during the holidays and wants work to distract her; try to encourage her to join in the fun with a lunch invitation or by sending her a silly e-card.

Lisa November 27, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Tell your co-worker bah-humbug and stop listening to her complaints!