Q. Are there any laws that prohibit offering a new job description with a lower wage in place of a layoff? — Kim, Pennsylvania
A. No, there are no laws prohibiting this approach. If you need to eliminate a job, there is no reason you cannot offer the affected employee another open position. Of course, he or she may be upset about reduced pay, but most people would prefer that to becoming unemployed.
Convey that the current position is being eliminated, and it’s the employees’ choice if they want to be reassigned to the other job.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- United Airlines to pay $850,000 settlement for disability bias
- Will Isiah Thomas verdict open sex harassment floodgates?
- Keeping your customers after your employees go to a competitor
- Add early-Termination clauses to all employment contracts