1. Which safety violation is cited most often by OSHA at U.S. workplaces?
a. Lack of fall protection devices/equipment
b. Electrical wiring mistakes
c. Machine guarding errors
2. The demise of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) means that certain employers and their _______ are in line for payroll tax refunds.
a. Military employees
b. Same-sex married employees
c. Employees with domestic partners
3. What do employers say is the greatest challenge in developing job descriptions for an open position?
a. Identifying which duties are “essential”
b. Identifying necessary interpersonal and soft skills
c. Determining the appropriate job title
4. The U.S. Department of Labor issued final rules recently that, for the first time, extend federal minimum wage and overtime protections to:
a. Migrant workers
b. Seasonal workers
c. Home health care workers
5. A Chicago woman recently became a YouTube superstar (16 million hits) when she posted a video of her resigning via:
a. A trio of celebrities announcing her reasons
b. An interpretive dance to Kanye West’s song, “Gone”
c. Announcement while skydiving
Sources: 1. OSHA; 2. Payroll Legal Alert; 3. The Creative Group survey; 4. U.S. Department of Labor; 5. YouTube: Marina Shifrin.
Answers: 1. a 2. b 3. b 4. c 5. b