You know this already: It takes confidence to advance from middleto .
You also know that self-confidence can be hard to hang onto. Fully a third of high achievers feel like imposters, undeserving of success.
Luckily, you can learn to feel confident:
- When in doubt, fake it.
- Add to your abilities every day.
- Focus on others. Self-consciousness is a waste of energy.
- Find and develop mentors.
- Make sure your self-talk is positive.
- Walk away from negative people. Constructive criticism is good, with the focus on “constructive.”
- Take care of yourself. Sleep enough. Move enough. Eat your veggies.
- Stay informed. It’s the only way you’ll catch big trends.
- Dress and act like a leader.
- Express your gratitude every day.
— Adapted from “10 Steps to Executive-Level Confidence,” Becky Blalock, The Wall Street Journal.