Make sure employees know that it’s not just bad form to write fake customer reviews about your company online—it could be illegal. New York’s attorney general last month cracked down on 19 companies that created deceptive reviews (a process called “Astroturfing”). Total fines: $350,000. The Federal Trade Commission sets national guidelines on what employees can say online about their products and services.
Advice: Update your social media policy to include a clause that prohibits employees from posting endorsements that are dishonest or fail to reveal the employee’s relationship with the company. Check out the sample policy wording and more details on the FTC guidelines.
- How to get absenteeism under control ... legally
- How to cope with a seriously ill employee: 4 steps
- Make sure your promotion process gives all qualified candidates enough time to apply
- How to respond when employees' creditors come calling
- Follow all leads when investigating allegations--even if they take query in new direction