Make sure employees know that it’s not just bad form to write fake customer reviews about your company online—it could be illegal. New York’s attorney general last month cracked down on 19 companies that created deceptive reviews (a process called “Astroturfing”). Total fines: $350,000. The Federal Trade Commission sets national guidelines on what employees can say online about their products and services.
Advice: Update your social media policy to include a clause that prohibits employees from posting endorsements that are dishonest or fail to reveal the employee’s relationship with the company. Check out the sample policy wording and more details on the FTC guidelines.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- How not to manage HR: Forget about formal hiring and promotions processes
- Take the first step toward your 2005 promotion
- Draw the line between 'tough talk' and harassment
- Time for a snap inspection: Make sure bulletin boards don't show signs of bias