For the third year, Houston-based Swift Worldwide Resources has given all of its employees a day off—the same day—to volunteer in their communities. On “Swift Day” in September, employees at the oil and gas organization’s 23 locations around the world worked on teams to volunteer at local charities.
Each team selected its own service project. In Houston, the company’s headquarters city, teams collected donations of clothing and helped with clean-up at a charity function for Dress for Success. They prepared meals for Kids Meals Houston, Meals on Wheels and a local food bank.
Team Calgary spent the landscaping day to help a Franciscan monastery prepare for a festival. In Australia, employees volunteered at a dog refuge, which saves hundreds of neglected and abused pets every year.
Contact: David Nesmith of Swift, (214) 891-2864.
- When employee keeps our property, can we deduct from the last paycheck?
- Corzine signs bills reforming workers' compensation system
- Annual checkup: Your top 10 employment law to-do's in 2010
- Prevailing wage law may not apply to off-site work
- You don't have to pay all managers equally unless jobs are substantially similar