The U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) is saving $24 million a year in real estate costs since it moved its 4,000 Washington, D.C.-based employees from three buildings to one.
The “government’s landlord”—the agency manages Uncle Sam’s facilities—renovated its century-old headquarters building, replacing most private offices with open floor plans. Planners say the open space allows employees to more easily collaborate on projects.
In addition, teleworkers are coordinating their schedules so they’re not all in the office at the same time. They share desks, rather than claiming space that goes unused while they’re working from home.
GSA, which estimates that the government can save more than $1 million a year for every 100 work spaces it eliminates, is working with other federal agencies to redesign their offices to save money through its “Total Workplace” program. Examples:
- The Department of Homeland Security is saving $70 million in real estate costs by reducing rented space, increasing telework and adopting desk sharing.
- USDA’s National Agricultural Statistics Service will whittle its 43 state offices to 12 regional locations, for a $700,000-plus annual savings.
- The Department of Health and Human Services is on track to save $15 million over 10 years by reducing the amount of office space it rents.
Contact: Jackeline Stewart of GSA at email@example.com.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/36982/gsa-saves-24-million-by-reducing-office-space "
- Bulletproof HR decision-making by following your own rules--and logging your compliance
- Aside from normal overtime, is there such a thing as mandatory holiday pay?
- During union drive, don't unfairly target pro-Union employees
- Texas Labor Code Anti-Discrimination Provisions
- How to measure the return on your training investment