by Kristin A. LaRosa, Esq., Pepper Hamilton LLP
As the holiday season draws near, employers are likely to see an increase in employee requests for time off. Employers should carefully monitor employees who are on or seeking leave under theto make sure they are not misusing the generous protections offered under the statute.
Employers face several common struggles when employees take, but there are ways to combat in the workplace.
Really a serious condition?
Employers struggle with what they can and can’t ask employees who request leave for their own medical conditions. Employers can require employees to submit a medical certification from the employee’s health care provider that supports the employee’s request for leave.
A sufficient certification will include the date on which the medical condition began, a description of the condition (such as the symptoms, diagnosis or any treatment regimen),...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Does the FMLA cover leave for 'stress'?
- Common sense: It's OK to urge employee to use paid leave instead of unpaid FMLA
- Make sure employees understand your FMLA calendar
- When the writing is on the wall: Court finds employee justified in believing she was fired