South Florida has become the epicenter of the transgender civil rights movement following the firing of Largo City Manager Susan Stanton. It was too much for city leaders to take when Stanton transitioned from male to female. She was dismissed despite a good job performance.
Several South Florida municipalities reacted to the firing by moving toward identifying their transgendered populations as protected classes. Numerous South Florida communities prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. But since transgendered people do not claim to be homosexual, these ordinances do not protect them.
- Overtime lawsuits rising: Don't become the latest target
- Firing worker for a Facebook rant: Illegal?
- Are you ready to punish a slacking employee? First, have a talk
- Establish clear discipline policies--and follow them for every employee, every time
- OK to cut position of worker on FMLA leave--if you can prove FMLA status didn't affect decision