South Florida has become the epicenter of the transgender civil rights movement following the firing of Largo City Manager Susan Stanton. It was too much for city leaders to take when Stanton transitioned from male to female. She was dismissed despite a good job performance.
Several South Florida municipalities reacted to the firing by moving toward identifying their transgendered populations as protected classes. Numerous South Florida communities prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. But since transgendered people do not claim to be homosexual, these ordinances do not protect them.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Don't use discipline system to settle old scores
- Firing hourly worker? Starbucks' big win shows how to handle wage statements and pay
- Patience key when you think worker won't return from FMLA
- Use exit interviews to identify patterns of supervisors' hidden discrimination