South Florida has become the epicenter of the transgender civil rights movement following the firing of Largo City Manager Susan Stanton. It was too much for city leaders to take when Stanton transitioned from male to female. She was dismissed despite a good job performance.
Several South Florida municipalities reacted to the firing by moving toward identifying their transgendered populations as protected classes. Numerous South Florida communities prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. But since transgendered people do not claim to be homosexual, these ordinances do not protect them.
- Woman claims she lost job because of AIDS, seeks over $1 million
- How should we go about changing severance pay policies spelled out in employment agreements?
- Hold bosses accountable for workplace problems
- Handle application liars consistently: Reject all or none
- Firing after FMLA leave: How soon is 'too soon'?