South Florida has become the epicenter of the transgender civil rights movement following the firing of Largo City Manager Susan Stanton. It was too much for city leaders to take when Stanton transitioned from male to female. She was dismissed despite a good job performance.
Several South Florida municipalities reacted to the firing by moving toward identifying their transgendered populations as protected classes. Numerous South Florida communities prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. But since transgendered people do not claim to be homosexual, these ordinances do not protect them.
- Must we pay out unused vacation days when we fire employees or they quit?
- ALL CAPS EMAIL? That's no credible threat
- FMLA leave-Takers aren't untouchable, but courts will look closely at timing
- When federal compliance and N.C. law collide: Violating FMLA doesn't end at-will employment
- Poor performance--properly documented--warrants termination