South Florida has become the epicenter of the transgender civil rights movement following the firing of Largo City Manager Susan Stanton. It was too much for city leaders to take when Stanton transitioned from male to female. She was dismissed despite a good job performance.
Several South Florida municipalities reacted to the firing by moving toward identifying their transgendered populations as protected classes. Numerous South Florida communities prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation. But since transgendered people do not claim to be homosexual, these ordinances do not protect them.
- Handle application liars consistently: Reject all or none
- Best bet: Always investigate hostile environment claims
- HR's New Year's resolutions: The top 10 to-do's in 2010
- One rule, two employees, two violations: Document why discipline wasn't identical
- Showing restraint: Ensuring worker safety with workplace protective orders