Tech firms are known for hiring the smartest people, not necessarily the most adept at leading others.
Ifdevelopment seems challenging in your operation, ask yourself:
- Do you have trouble filling leadership jobs?
- Have essential people left for better opportunities?
- Does your culture reward technical expertise over leadership?
- Do employees resist coaching?
- Does the nature of the business hamper the ability to groom people for leadership?
If you answered yes to several of these questions, improve your succession planning. Help your managers prioritize leadership by measuring how well they develop the capacity of subordinates.
— Adapted from “Do Techies Make Good Leaders?” Robert Fulmer and Byron Hanson, The Wall Street Journal.