In addition to being the place where we accomplish important things (and earn important money), work is also the place where much of our social lives take place.
Office chitchat builds camaraderie and helps break up the day. But when workplace socializing starts to threaten your productivity, call a halt to it with these common-sense tips from goal-setting consultant Deirdre Maloney:
- If you have an office door, close it. It’s not rude; that’s why it’s there.
- Keep lots of stuff on your guest chair. Chatterboxes won’t linger.
- Let people know you’re pressed for time. How? Say so! Simply state when you must get back to work.
- Need the conversation to end? Stand up. Politely tell co-workers that you need to leave.
- Trapped in your own office? Stand up anyway and ditch your colleague. Then take a quick walk down the hall or visit the bathroom.