Office politics are a fact of life. Since you can’t escape it, columnist and blogger Eric Barker has compiled some tips from the experts so you can handle the politics like a pro.
- Play the game. No matter how much you think politics at work doesn’t matter, it does.
- Keep your boss happy. You might be wonderful at your job, but if the boss doesn’t like you, there’s little hope you’ll advance.
- Make alliances. Good workplace relationships lead to better results.
- Learn to deal with gossip. Keep gossip positive and only speak for yourself.
- Win the game. Know what other people value and gain information by talking to superiors.
— Adapted from “Checklist: the 5 secrets to winning at office politics,” Eric Barker, Barking Up The Wrong Tree.