"Multiple intelligences" pioneer Howard Gardener says you can use seven levers for persuading other people to latch onto new ideas:
- Reason. Present the idea's pros and cons, including its context and relevance to the situation at hand.
- Research. Back up your reasoning with solid data.
- Resonance. Tailor your idea so that it's meaningful to your audience.
- Redescriptions." Keep your message consistent across all kinds of media formats.
- Resources and rewards. Disseminate your idea, and provide incentives for people to adopt it.
- Real-world events. Use them to bolster your idea, anticipate problems and create new ideas.
- Resistance. Identify and defuse any resistance (conscious or unconscious) to your idea.