A grassroots lobbying effort led by the Fair Pay Campaign is pushing employers to pay their interns, starting with the White House. The group says President Obama cannot “in good faith, go after minimum wage (increases) and at the same time have unpaid staff.”
In June, a landmark court ruling said Fox Searchlight must pay interns who performed menial tasks for movie production. When must you pay? Read "Court: If interns perform work, pay them!"
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Keep cases from escalating: When hot-headed manager blows up, order cooling-off period
- What managers need to know about age discrimination
- NLRB targets at-will disclaimers, off-duty employee access
- Handling layoffs with workers' comp claims pending