• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

IRA contributions after the break-up

by on
in Small Business Tax,Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies

Q. I’m getting divorced and won’t likely have any salary of my own this year. Can I still contribute to an IRA for 2013? Anonymous

A. It depends. Assuming you’ll be filing a 2013 tax return as an unmarried individual, you can no longer benefit from a “spousal IRA” where only one spouse works.

Without any earned income of your own, you can’t contribute to an IRA for the 2013 tax year. How­ever, if you’re entitled to alimony as part of the divorce decree, alimony received in 2013 counts as “earned income” for this purpose.

Tip: The maximum IRA contribution allowed for 2013 is $5,500 (up from $5,000 in 2013). You can add an extra $1,000 if you’ll be age 50 or older at year-end.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/36161/ira-contributions-after-the-break-up "

Leave a Comment