absences are on the rise and some sectors—particularly manufacturing, hotels, health care, call centers and government entities—far surpass others in terms of FMLA rates, says a new report by EAP provider ComPsych.
Example: Health care employers have 39% of their workforce with an openat any given time, compared with just 7% of professional service employers. From 2008 to 2012, the average length of FMLA leave for health care employees jumped to 28 days—an increase of more than 25% in those five years.
- When FMLA and ADA could be factors, consider both laws before denying return to work
- Pregnancy Discrimination Act doesn't cover child care woes
- Don't bury FMLA leave taker in catch-up work
- Terminating without giving a specific reason? Document rationale for the record, regardless
- Keep solid time records to prove whether employee is eligible for FMLA leave