absences are on the rise and some sectors—particularly manufacturing, hotels, health care, call centers and government entities—far surpass others in terms of FMLA rates, says a new report by EAP provider ComPsych.
Example: Health care employers have 39% of their workforce with an openat any given time, compared with just 7% of professional service employers. From 2008 to 2012, the average length of FMLA leave for health care employees jumped to 28 days—an increase of more than 25% in those five years.
- ADA: Use these criteria to keep courts from second-guessing job's 'essential functions'
- You have the go-ahead: Fire employee if you discover problems during FMLA leave
- Federal court makes it tougher for employees to prove retaliation
- Used all the official FMLA forms? 3rd Circuit says that may not be enough
- Train managers to act immediately on leave requests