Some managers turn every problem into a three-alarm fire, which can be stressful and ineffective. How do you know if a manager (or you) is a “pyromaniac”? Fortune Small Business offers this quiz:
- Are most of your e-mails labeled “urgent”?
- Have you left more than three voice mails to a person on the same issue in one hour?
- Do you make employees stay late on issues that just came up as they were leaving for the day?
- Do co-workers screen your calls?
Any “yes” answers could signal a problem.
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- 5 ways to earn immediate respect for HR
- Hourly employees and off-site e-mail access: What are the wage-and-hour rules?
- Cell phones, laptops and BlackBerrys: Understand the liability risks
- How not to manage HR: Forget about formal hiring and promotions processes