Q. We are moving to another office and want to take this opportunity to purge outdated or unnecessary documents. How long do we have to keep our personnel files?
A. Various employment laws require maintaining records for specified periods of time, depending on the type of record and the law. Maintaining personnel files for at least three years for former employees should comply with all applicable federal employment laws. Don’t purge any personnel files for current employees.
Be sure to follow the retention periods specified in any document retention policies you may have.
- ChildNet could have used 'Dragnet' detective work
- Use performance evaluations to pinpoint problemsâ€”And follow up
- How to make sure you wind up in court: Block worker's return from medical leave
- What are the rules on employee access to personnel files?
- What are the rules on employee access to personnel records?