Are you ready to say you love your job?

Question: "I feel strange when I talk about my enthusiasm for my work. I'm basically a mid-level admin and have been for four years, but I love it! Maybe I've just gotten lucky with my circumstances or the right combination of challenges, but I can't be the only one who just plain enjoys doing this for a living, helping people in a thousand different ways. I want to find out how many admins really love their job like I do!" — Vanessa, Property Administrator

See comments below, and send your own question to Admin-Pro@nibm.net.

Sonya B July 3, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I firmly believe that as Administrative Professionals we have the best job in the world! Own it and be proud of it!

M July 2, 2013 at 10:14 am

Wow, I liked reading all of these, I wish I had such enthusiasim as all of you. I like being an admin, but I don’t care too much for my current position. I wish I had what you all have, Kudos, to you

Lori P. July 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Vanessa, I can honestly say that I love my job. I’ve been in an Admin support position for 12 years now and when people ask if I like what I do I never hesitate to say I love it. In fact, I usually say that I’m going to retire from this position because I’m so comfortable here. I may not always like my employer, but I have always loved what I do. I’m also fortunate to be in a position that works with staff from various disciplines from line staff to execs so I get to see the organization from the top down and gain a valuable perspective. I’m also the go-to person here and I take pride in that. There’s no doubt about it – it feels good to be the person everyone can count on. I’ve been asked to consider promotional opportunities, but I turn it down every time. Money is nice, but I’ve learned long ago job satisfaction is more important and I’ve found my niche, so why change? In short, don’t ever be embarrased about what you do – go ahead and show that enthusiasm because in the end, it’s what sets you apart from the rest of the crowd.

Linda July 1, 2013 at 10:42 am

I love my job! I’ve had a support position for most of my 50+ work life. Every time someone has said you do such a good job as an Administrative Assistant, let’s promote you and talked me into it, it’s been a disappointment. I think some of us are simply “wired” to be the support and go to position. I work as an Executive Administrative Assistant now (and have for 20 years with different presidents at different organizations). Every morning I come to work with enthusiasm and a can’t wait attitude. Never apologize – I take credit for everything my bosses accomplish because without me looking ahead, picking up the pieces, doing parts of his job so he can do more and smoothing the path, he couldn’t do all he does. Love it, girl, every day you’re blessed to do it.

Christine July 1, 2013 at 12:49 pm

It seems to be expected that everyone would want that promotion, but that’s not always true. It simply does not automatically follow that in order to love your job, you have to be at the top of the ladder.

Denise July 1, 2013 at 10:11 am

Deep down I love what I do! After college I jumped right into assisting because I wasn’t sure what my dream job was. I loved the challenge and the new things I learned everyday, but then in a few short months, I started listening to people (including my boss!) who said things like “You’re too smart to be an assistant. You should get a real job.” This led me on a downward spiral of hating it, wanting out, feeling prideful, etc. I’ve finally stopped listening to others and plan to move up in this career for as long as possible!

Kim June 28, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I too love my job. I’ve always enjoyed being an Admin because of the variety that comes with the position. I’ve been fortunate enough to find a place with a great company and a truely fantastic boss. In fact, I love my position and my boss so much that even though I am taking on a larger management role, I will continue to provide support to my boss who is the SVP of a large organization. I have stepped back a bit on some of the support for our other folks in the department to let the other Admins do more, but I have no desire to give it up completely.

Diane June 28, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I love my job! I’ve worked as an Administrative Assistant at a community college for over 20 years now and I love the environment. My current supervisor is wonderful to work for/with. She’s encouraging and genuine. I enjoy helping the students and assisting other staff. No problems here.

J June 28, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I really enjoy being an admin, but I do NOT enjoy my current job. I’m ardently trying to get out and into a better environment.

I take a lot of pride in keeping things efficient and in doing a task well. I also like the variety that being an admin brings. I get bored doing the same thing over and over.

May Boyer June 28, 2013 at 8:49 am

There are lots of folks in the workplace that do not love what they do so be proud that you are! When I graduated from college, I didn’t expect to be where I am today and discovered that this is where my talents can excel. I am passionate in what I do and I gladly wake up to get to work each day. Sounds like you do too.

Tammy June 28, 2013 at 7:22 am

I have been very fortunate to find a great place to work, and a wonderful group of people to work with. It is challenging, exciting, interesting, and I do learn something new everyday. You make your job what it is, if you enjoy it, it is easy to go to work everyday, and easier to work out issues with confidence with my manager and staff. My job is fullfilling and keeps me busy, I am a very lucky woman, and I am thankful every single day.

Gari-Ann June 27, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Absolutely, I love my Admin job!! Some people have to change jobs, or even companies in order to find spice in their work life as the years go on. My company and the poeple I have worked with for the past 13 yrs bless me with varied learning opportunites, and it’s never tiring. They are a grateful, busy bunch! :-)

Treva June 27, 2013 at 5:37 pm

There is nothing wrong with saying that you love your job Vanessa! Girl, I LOVE my job too! I have been an admin professional for over 25 years and I finally found a company and position that makes me happy to go into work every day. Your environment, the people you work with and the type of work you do, play a huge part in how we feel about our employment and for the first time, in a long time, I actually love my job. It is refreshing to hear someone say they actually love their job, so kudos to you and keep loving what you do!

Evelyn June 27, 2013 at 5:24 pm

My job is easy to love and I’ve loved it for over 20 years. I work for the best company, the best people and I meet new and interesting people every day working to better our community! What is not to love? I’m very good at counting my blessings before I sleep and giving it my best the next day. I stay engaged in our work and always try to help, no matter what the task. Being administrative staff allows me the opportunity to meet a challenge – no matter how big or small and keeping it positive along the way. I’m glad I went this way.

Kay June 27, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I’m with you — I love my job! I work as a Personal Assistant to the CEO of a national company and I get to do some interesting things. I really don’t have a job description because neither of us know from week to week what is going to come up — and I like this way of working. My boss is so concerned with the welfare of everyone in the company and is a great example to everyone. Who wouldn’t like a job working with someone like this?

Tammi June 27, 2013 at 5:16 pm

YES – I also love my job as an Executive Admin Asst. And for all of the reasons everyone else has already stated. I find the job fulfilling, challenging, love to assist others when they need it, train new admins, and the people I work with and for are the best. I work for a great company, with great benefits etc.

Laura June 27, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I agree….I love my job! I’ve been in the administrative support field for almost 20 years, beginning as an office assistant and working my way up to an Executive Assistant to a VP at a hospital. Every day is different with new challenges and I constantly learn something new. I enjoy helping people and the best feeling is hearing people say a simple “Thank you!” I look forward to many more years in my career.

Christie June 27, 2013 at 4:37 pm

I’ve been an Executive Admin. for the Vice President for almost 11 years in my current position. Prior to this position, I was a recruiter for a few years but previously an assistant for about 13 years. I went back to doing administrative work because I’ve been lucky with great bosses and co-workers. It pays decent, always challenging and I’ve been blessed with stable job security!

Maria June 27, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I love my job! I am the Executive Administrative Assistant to the Board of the Hospital District. The Board members are great and very respectful of my experience and knowledge on matters relating to Open Meetings. I work independently since they all have their own businesses. I have excellent benefits and I have been doing this for the past 15 years. I don’t even mind that I may get a new boss every year when elections take place.

Mary June 27, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I have worked for almost forty years in a variety of support positions. The most enjoyable years have been spent working with executives who know their job and allow me to do what I do best. I presently work with a staff of 40 people in our ITdepartment and love helping them get through their days, taking care of the details so they can do their job.

Penny June 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I cannot say enough how much I love my job! I enjoy an incredible mix of responsibilities and assignments at an internationally recognized university. This unique mix of career services, recruiting, diversity programs as well as opportunities for leadership and development make my job challenging AND rewarding.

My boss is supportive of my growth and encourages my involvment in activities that present leadership development. Our entire team pulls together on projects, events and all enjoy the camaraderie.

I’ll say it again, I LOVE MY JOB!

Lorretta Brown June 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm

I’ve been in the Admin Professionals game for over 30 years and YES..I LOVE my job. I work for state government, helping people with disabilities find employment. I am the Admin to the Regional Director and I LOVE every day at work; it’s always interesting and never the same thing. So YES I do love my job – it’s wonderful being able to actually change peoples’ lives. You must have the passion for helping folks if you want to be a successful Admin Professional and I STILL have that passion after all these years!

Jackie Harp June 27, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I love what I do. I’m an Administrative Assistant for a very large IT dept at a university and the people I support are great!

Janie June 27, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Well, I absolutely love my job. I’ve been an Executive Assistant with this company for almost 22 years. I support 4 incredible executives that are very respectful and appreciative. Technology allows me to support 2 of those executives remotely. I tell people all the time, “I’m livin’ the dream!”

Lyn June 27, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I too love my job. I am Executive Assistant to the President and have moved my way up from Receptionist 13 years ago. I think anyone can obtain this status by setting a great corporate culture within their company. People only act how they are shown so if you are respectful and engage one another in the business it spreads and makes for a great place to work. Who you work with determines how happy you are in any position. Set the standard and enjoy the rewards.

Theresa June 27, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I love my job! I am Executive Assistant to the Legal Department for a global company, and I couldn’t be happier. The people within my department are all wonderful, easy to get along with and genuine. The company takes care of its employees very well; ensuring employee sustainability. Did I mention that I love my job?! (smile)