• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Does a tax ID number authorize foreigners to work?

by on
in Employment Law,Human Resources

Q. Do the individual taxpayer identification numbers (ITIN) issued by the Department of the Treasury authorize an alien to work without any other documentation, such as an employment authorization? — Gail, New Jersey

A. No. In fact, just the opposite is true. According to the IRS, “an ITIN is only available to resident and nonresident aliens who are not eligible for U.S. employment and need identification for other tax purposes.”

You can identify an ITIN because it is a 9-digit number, beginning with the number “9” and is formatted like an SSN (NNN-NN-NNNN). As with all new hires, you must complete a Form I-9 for every new employee. Read more details at the IRS' website.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/35871/does-a-tax-id-number-authorize-foreigners-to-work "

Leave a Comment