More than half of workers (55%) consider themselves overweight, and 41% have gained weight at their present jobs, according to a survey by Careerbuilder.com. Of those who say they’ve gained weight, 59% gained 10 pounds or more and 30% gained more than 20 pounds.
Help employees manage their weight and stay healthy this summer by passing along these simple tips:
- Take walks. Get off the bus or train at an earlier stop and walk the remaining distance. Take the stairs at work. Stroll over to your co-worker’s desk instead of sending an email. The key is to increase activity throughout the day.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking water makes you feel full and cuts out calories from sugary drinks.
- Pack a lunch. It’s an easy way to eat healthier and control portion sizes.
- Try fruit and veggies. Keep favorite healthy snacks in the break room refrigerator so you’ll be less tempted to go to the vending machine.
- Keep a food journal. It helps you keep track of calories and identify peak snacking times, so you can modify behavior.
Jobs that put on the poundsEmployees with these jobs are most likely to report that their work has made them gain weight:
Source: CareerBuilder.com survey, May 2013