There’s a good chance your job will change or disappear entirely, so you need to be ready to carry on and keep your career going when it does. Lifehacker’s Alan Henry offers five steps you can take to make sure you’ll land on your feet and hit the ground running if you lose your job.
- Shore up your finances. Build up an emergency fund equal to three to six months of your expenses.
- Diversify your skills and experience. Being good at just one thing isn’t enough to keep you employed these days. You need to pick up and learn new skills.
- Expand your network. Knowing the right people will help you beat out other candidates who are equally qualified.
- Keep your personal brand fresh. Post to LinkedIn, Twitter and other social media sites regularly.
- Build a second income stream from your hobbies, passions or extra skills.
— Adapted from “How To Futureproof Your Job with a Career Insurance Policy,” Alan Henry, Lifehacker.