Q. We’ve traditionally sponsored a springtime cruise for our Pennsylvania employees—mainly executives and directors. However, it will cost too much to invite our newest employees, who work in three neighboring states. Can we sponsor different events for staff in each geographical area?
A. Yes. The only issue here is whether employees in other states will feel resentful if they perceive that Pennsylvania employees are being treated better. This is an employee morale issue more than a legal one, unless the employees in other states fall into different protected classes than Pennsylvania employees and could argue that the cruisers are being favored because of their race, gender, etc.
- Proven way to win shaky bias suits: Be specific about reasons for discharge
- Offer employees on military duty same chances for promotion other employees have
- Better heed Ledbetter: Audit pay policies to ensure equal pay
- How long must we retain the records on former employees?
- After 40 years, OSHA enforcement about to get much tougher