Q. We’ve traditionally sponsored a springtime cruise for our Pennsylvania employees—mainly executives and directors. However, it will cost too much to invite our newest employees, who work in three neighboring states. Can we sponsor different events for staff in each geographical area?
A. Yes. The only issue here is whether employees in other states will feel resentful if they perceive that Pennsylvania employees are being treated better. This is an employee morale issue more than a legal one, unless the employees in other states fall into different protected classes than Pennsylvania employees and could argue that the cruisers are being favored because of their race, gender, etc.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Chronic fatigue syndrome or just too pooped to work?
- It's official: State employees must pay union dues—indefinitely
- DOL mounts vigorous defense against business groups' lawsuits
- Union-organizing: Navigating the National Labor Relations Act