How do you become a virtual assistant?

Question: “How do you become a virtual assistant? I am very interested.” – Leslie, Marketing Coordinator

Jessica June 7, 2013 at 12:33 pm

The best resources I have found were from Virtual Assistant Job Helper at http://www.virtualassistantjobhelper.com as well as Googling as much as I could and reading every blog/post/article I could find until I truly understand the entire concept around becoming a virtual assistant, honing my skills, building my business, etc. Good luck everyone!

Leslie March 25, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Hi Rhonda:
What is your US based virtual assisting firm’s website. Is anyone already working for a company that they could recommend? Thanks!

Lisa March 20, 2013 at 6:41 pm

What is your website? I like to check into this further. Thanks,

Mary Lou March 20, 2013 at 5:31 pm

a good idea would also check to see SBA classes for entrepreneurs – self employed business owners at your local junior college.

Belinda Stringer March 15, 2013 at 9:55 am

Kimberly,

VirtualAssistants.com, is a US Based VA Job Board. There is a fee, as they are a service but post 200 jobs a week or so, based in the USA, since 1999. Saves time and jobs are prescreened, and a variety of jobs. Of course, you will need your resume to apply to the jobs.

Kimberly March 21, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Thank you for the valuable information.

Tess March 14, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Visit http://www.virtualassistantforums.com – tons of free information there, an awesome eBook on starting a VA business, and a 6 week VA Business Jumpstart course. There is also a scam forum on the site to help you weed out what’s junk and what’s worth spending your time on.

The thing you should understand is a virtual assistant is (usually) a solo business owner – although of course there are agencies, etc. or VA teams. Check out Virtual Assistant Forums for discussion with fellow VAs (and aspiring) on all of this and more.

Susan March 14, 2013 at 4:13 pm

AssistU (www.assistu.com) has a very good and reputable program and a supportive online community.

Redonia March 14, 2013 at 10:18 am

Hi Leslie,

There is very little difficulty in becoming a va, especially if marketing is your niche. You should start by deciding if you want to freelance or if you want to work with an existing company. I have a US based virtual assisting firm. We do a variety of projects for clients. If you want to go the freelance route there are several non-scam sites to consider as well. You can do it on your time at your rate. Just a few thoughts.

Marty March 14, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Redonia, can you list these non-scam sites? Thank you.

Kimberly March 14, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Hi Redonia,
Thank you for replying to the question, but I myself did not get the answer I was looking for from your response. Can you be more specific by suggesting names of US based virtual assisting firms, freelance firms, clients etc. I too am interested in learning more about becoming a VA but it has become hard to know what is a scam and what is not.

Thank you for your prompt attention.

Denise March 15, 2013 at 11:19 am

Any site that requires a fee to access jobs, materials or RFP’s is likely a scam.

As Tess mentioned above, http://www.virtualassistantforums.com is an awesome resource. Also, if you are on Facebook, you can checkout 2 groups: Your Virtual Assistant and Virtual Assistant Tribe. On Google+, there are a couple of communities: Virtual Assistants and The Virtual Assistant Project. All of these groups are a great source of VA’s whom you can talk to, engage and learn. LinkedIn has MANY VA groups you can join, however they tend to be spammy, with the exception of IVAA and the 2 called “Virtual Assistant.”

The various boards out there (oDesk, Elance, Guru, Freelancer, etc.) are a bid-for-services platforms and are laden with inexpensive foreign labor. You will not find your ideal client there.

The most important thing to remember is that a VA isn’t an employee – we are independent business owners and entrepreneurs :)