In an effort to bolster dwindling memberships, unions are taking their organizing message to the Internet, rather than your physical work site.
Latest example: One of the nation's largest unions, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), launched an affiliate Web site dubbed Purple-Ocean.org. (The SEIU's trademark color is purple.)
Modeled in part after Howard Dean's network of Internet supporters during his presidential bid, the SEIU's site aims to mobilize and connect union-friendly workers through features such as a Web log, or "blog." PurpleOcean.org wants to draw 1 million people to build its campaign.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Of good faith and gut instinct: Fire employee who falsely claims discrimination
- Stop ex-workers from 'stealing' vacation leave
- Are you ill prepared? 13 steps to stay ahead of the H1N1 virus
- Discovered poor work while employee was on military leave? Go ahead and discipline