In an effort to bolster dwindling memberships, unions are taking their organizing message to the Internet, rather than your physical work site.
Latest example: One of the nation's largest unions, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), launched an affiliate Web site dubbed Purple-Ocean.org. (The SEIU's trademark color is purple.)
Modeled in part after Howard Dean's network of Internet supporters during his presidential bid, the SEIU's site aims to mobilize and connect union-friendly workers through features such as a Web log, or "blog." PurpleOcean.org wants to draw 1 million people to build its campaign.
- GM takes VEBA for a test drive
- No light-Duty jobs open when employee returns? You don't have to retain him
- Exempt or nonexempt? Analyze your staff before a court does
- Did employee file small claims case? You may get later lawsuit tossed
- Ask attorney for help in structuring joint ventures to limit employer liability