Whether you feel like a “born leader” or a thinly veiled fraud, you can develop valuable insights by quizzing yourself on your skills, traits and experience as a leader.
On each of these items, give yourself an “S” for strong or “N” for needs improvement:
- Work hard and selflessly to meet my team’s goals.
- Ask for tough assignments and take full responsibility.
- Plan ahead, and stick to the plan despite obstacles.
- Transform difficult employees into contributors.
- Handle crises without flagging on the group’s main goals.
Now add a couple of traits that may be unique to your organization and you’ve got a starting point for your professional development.
— Adapted from AMA Business Boot Camp, edited by Edward T. Reilly, Amacom.