• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Can we refund employee’s pretax contribution for transit pass?

by on
in Office Management,Payroll Management

Question: An employee had pretax deductions made from her pay for mass transit passes. She terminated in the middle of January with a balance in her account, which she now wants refunded. Can we do this? If we can, how do we tax the refund?

Answer: You’re off the hook. Refunds of pretax contributions can’t be made to any employee. Under the tax regs, employees can’t revoke their pretax deductions after the beginning of the period (usually a month) for which a pass is provided. Revocations would trigger constructive receipt and, therefore, taxes, since employees could choose whether to receive a benefit or cash.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/34575/can-we-refund-employees-pretax-contribution-for-transit-pass "

Leave a Comment