Q. What factors do the courts use to determine if termination is an appropriate penalty? — Pam, Pennsylvania
A. When an employee is terminated for a rule violation, the courts and arbitrators will look at the following to determine if termination is the appropriate penalty:
- Whether the employee was aware of the rule
- Whether he or she was warned about the possible consequences of breaking it
- What the employee’s previous employment record is
- How other employees have been disciplined in the past for similar infractions.
- Stop violence with strong policy, calm approach
- If employee has authority to hire and fire, is he automatically eligible for exempt classification?
- Job applications: How to create a legally safe form
- Two employees involved in same incident? Punishment can differ if it's not discriminatory
- Elected officials can fire holdover appointees