Q. What factors do the courts use to determine if termination is an appropriate penalty? — Pam, Pennsylvania
A. When an employee is terminated for a rule violation, the courts and arbitrators will look at the following to determine if termination is the appropriate penalty:
- Whether the employee was aware of the rule
- Whether he or she was warned about the possible consequences of breaking it
- What the employee’s previous employment record is
- How other employees have been disciplined in the past for similar infractions.
- Attendance policies: Control absenteeism without breaking the law
- Help managers avoid these top 5 firing mistakes
- Promises, promises: Well-intentioned words may send fired employee in search of an attorney
- Employee tried to comply? He may get unemployment
- Quiz: How well do you know discipline do's and don'ts?