Q. What factors do the courts use to determine if termination is an appropriate penalty? — Pam, Pennsylvania
A. When an employee is terminated for a rule violation, the courts and arbitrators will look at the following to determine if termination is the appropriate penalty:
- Whether the employee was aware of the rule
- Whether he or she was warned about the possible consequences of breaking it
- What the employee’s previous employment record is
- How other employees have been disciplined in the past for similar infractions.
- Harassing Our Vets at Work: Unpatriotic for Sure, But Is It Illegal?
- Wear kid gloves with accommodation requests; they are 'protected activity'
- Poor service an issue? Seek customer testimony
- Choose one when suing: bias or wrongful termination
- Don't let fear of being sued stop you from disciplining employee