Q. What factors do the courts use to determine if termination is an appropriate penalty? — Pam, Pennsylvania
A. When an employee is terminated for a rule violation, the courts and arbitrators will look at the following to determine if termination is the appropriate penalty:
- Whether the employee was aware of the rule
- Whether he or she was warned about the possible consequences of breaking it
- What the employee’s previous employment record is
- How other employees have been disciplined in the past for similar infractions.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Bad attitude, rude behavior bars unemployment
- What employee thresholds trigger need for notification of plant closings?
- When good workers go bad: 'Employee of year' award doesn't give immunity from firing
- Beware firing after employee files workers' comp claim