A Pittsburgh system/supply analyst sued Del Monte Foods for race and age discrimination after being passed over for several promotions despite excellent reviews. The analyst, a 57-year-old black woman, applied for at least five positions between July 1998 and 2005, four of which went to white males younger than 40.
Del Monte showed the court, however, that a candidate with more education and experience had filled each position. The court granted summary dismissal.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- When bias goes companywide, class-action lawsuits will follow
- Use outside investigator to build credibility
- It's February, and love is in the air—or is it harassment?
- Certain you had a good reason for firing? Don't agonize over decision--or fear a bias suit