Amendments to Labor Code Chapter 2.5 implementing AB 1844 took effect Jan. 1. The amendments bar employers from asking employees or job applicants for any social media account information.
Employers may not retaliate against individuals for refusing to provide the information. Employers may only access an employee’s social media accounts as part of a legitimate investigation into alleged employee misconduct.
- Downsizing without litigation: 4 alternatives to layoffs
- Beyond the bland: 11 questions to identify 'must hires'
- Prepare for parades, pickets and bullhorns: Court lifts limits on many strike activities
- N.Y.-Based grocery chain to pay $40,000 discrimination settlement
- When employer calls for a recommendation, keep it basic