Indiana employers that want to hire foreign workers for specific temporary jobs must jump several hurdles. Here’s the drill:
- You must show that no qualified American workers are available for the position.
- Before advertising a position, you must obtain a prevailing wage statement from the Indiana Department of Workforce Development.
- You must certify that you’ve contacted unions and they haven’t been able to supply a qualified American worker.
Before hiring temporary foreign workers, you must complete an application for alien employment certification (federal form ETA 750A, available at www.in.gov/dwd/employers/forms/eta750a.pdf). Make sure you request the form at least 120 days in advance of hiring to allow both federal and state agencies to complete the necessary processing.
You must accompany the application with a statement explaining why the job opportunity is (a) temporary and (b) why your need for the worker(s) meets one of these standards:
- A one-time occurrence
- A seasonal need
- A peak-load need
- An intermittent need
Note: Existence of a labor shortage in your local labor market is not a viable reason for approval of a request for a temporary labor certification. In addition, any filing that proposes to bring in a foreign worker as a trainer must include a course outline and time frame for such training.
All requests must include the Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) that has been assigned to you. Without this number the state won’t place your request into recruitment, which will effectively kill the request. Also, be sure to include your Indiana Unemployment Insurance Tax Account Number.
More information about temporary alien labor certification is available from the Indiana Department of Workforce Development at www.in.gov/dwd/employers/flc.html.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/3439/indiana-temporary-foreign-labor-certification-act "
- Protect your company from well-intentioned ID theft laws
- Offer legit 'fresh-start' transfer without fear of being punished for retaliation
- Beware offer letters that seem to imply that they are employment contracts
- Make sure firing decision was independent of FMLA status
- Cabbies charge race, religious bias at DFW Airport