What are the subtleties of sending thanks after your job interview? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

What are the subtleties of sending thanks after your job interview?

Question: "I know I’m supposed to send a thank-you email after I go in for a job interview, but I’m not sure of exactly when to send it. An hour afterward? A day? And what exactly does this note need to contain for me to stick in the mind of the person who might hire me?” – Blake, Hospice Coordinator

Mark January 17, 2013 at 4:42 pm

People get tons of e-mails, and are often annoyed by the quantity. People seldom get a hand-written note. If you want to stand out, don’t be one their 143 e-mails of the day. Be their one and only hand-written note of the day.

Anonymous January 11, 2013 at 8:42 am

I’m not a baby boomer, and as a matter of fact, I’m still very young, but even so, I highly recommend a hand written thank you card over an email. And mailed the same day, like the people before me said.

Madeline January 10, 2013 at 11:44 pm

You should send the thank you e-mail either the same day or at earliest, the next day; and in the e-mail, let the interviewer(s) know how much you appreciated the time they took from their day to interview you and also reiterate any and all your strong points that were discussed and anything else that needs to be mentioned as well. You can also indicate to you when will they be making a hiring decision. Besides the e-mail, please, repeat send a hand-written notementioning the same, and this will let the people incharge know, that you are genuinely interested in the position and the company.

Joyce January 10, 2013 at 5:46 pm

When I interviewed I carried a thank you note card with me (don’t forget pen and stamp). When I left, I stopped at a bench or coffee shop (any place nearby where you have some privacy), wrote the thank you, and mailed in the nearest mailbox. Thanked for the time, pointed out something discussed in the meeting (clarifying something, a particular point of interest), and expressed interest, lookied forward to hearing back from the person that was to contact you, and provide most convenient number(s) to be reached at within the card. Even in this day and age, I would like to think that a neatly handwritten thank you is still more appreciated than a quick email or nothing at all.

Linda January 10, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I like to receive a thank you the same day – short and sweet.

Thank you for your time. I would like to be considered for your team!

L January 10, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Being the baby boomer that I am, I snail mail a handwritten note the same day as the interview. I don’t want my thank you to be seen as just another irritating email to be quickly deleted. Mere’s suggestion on what to state is right on target.

Mere January 10, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Sending the note within a day or so ensures that the conversations are fresh in your mind. I also recommend taking notes during your interview to help you follow-up (especially if they ask for work samples or any other items). You can reinforce any area in which you seemed to impress or address any area in which you might not have been perceived as strong. If you had more than one person interview you, send each one a thank you and make sure each one is individualized as they are likely to compare. Also, if there were any company initiatives that impressed you, the thank you note can provide an opportunity for referencing that and showing you were fully engaged and paying attention in the interview.