Q. Is it better to use a dark or a light background in PowerPoint?
A. You’ll hear a lot of opinions on this topic. My opinion is based on delivering programs in auditorium, classroom and conference room settings. The answer: It depends. In a large room, like an auditorium, a very sparsely populated screen with a white background is like a witness interrogation room. So, in that environment, I’m inclined to use a black background. In a classroom or conference room setting a light background may be easier to read. Keep your slides simple and put the meat of it in the handout for classroom and boardroom presentations.
- Tip Card: Business Management Daily's Favorite Keyboard Shortcuts
- Planning to create a video or automatically advancing slide show from your presentation?
- PowerPoint secrets from Steve Jobs: Pictures trump words
- Communication Corner: March '09
- You can lose a lot of time getting shapes and other objects in PowerPoint to line up