By Kimberly Deas
One benefit of having a smartphone is always having information at your fingertips. To help you use it most effectively while traveling, try these apps:• ITA Software’s OnTheFly provides a complete set of flight options, within the date range and length of trip you enter, for the lowest price.
• Kayak’s app is much more sophisticated, but is best used for research; you will need to book through a PC or travel agent.
• Flight Track Pro is a fast, accurate and thorough flight tracker to notify you of any delays or gate changes.
• Hotel Tonight offers steep discounts in the United States or London for the last-minute traveler. Rates are announced no earlier than noon the day of check-in and many will let you stay multiple nights.
• Free Wi-Fi Finder directs you to the nearest hotspot. Although free hot spots can be slow and unsafe, if you are desperate, this is an option.
• XComGlobal.com provides Wi-Fi for a flat fee of $15 per day. Great for traveling abroad.
• Tripit is the ultimate organizer. Simply email your confirmations to Tripit, and Tripit will combine them into a single organized itinerary for you. No more searching for confirmations, it’s there in TripIt.
Traveling is hard enough. Using these apps can make traveling easier and provide all the information you need right at your fingertips.
Kimberly Deas combines her 10+ years’ experience in telecommunications with a background in personal coaching and results-oriented training.