Q. It has come to my attention that one of our managers has posted his résumé on an online job board. Is it legal to ask him if he is actively looking for another job? If he is, do we have grounds to terminate him?
A. There is nothing illegal about asking that question or about terminating the manager if he is looking for work. That’s assuming you obtained the information in the normal course of business and would not be treating this manager differently than the way you have treated other employees.
- When employee complains about discrimination, be alert for signs bosses are retaliating
- Head-Office decision won't insulate company from liability
- When same manager hires and fires, it's unlikely to be discrimination
- OK to fire and then investigate—But be consistent
- Employees rarely win emotional distress lawsuits.