Q. It has come to my attention that one of our managers has posted his résumé on an online job board. Is it legal to ask him if he is actively looking for another job? If he is, do we have grounds to terminate him?
A. There is nothing illegal about asking that question or about terminating the manager if he is looking for work. That’s assuming you obtained the information in the normal course of business and would not be treating this manager differently than the way you have treated other employees.
- Terminated employees staging protest? Consider suing to force them to stop
- Court: No tacking wrongful discharge claims onto FMLA suit
- Seinfeld jokester loses award
- Memo to managers: There's no reason to discuss why employee was terminated
- Accounting employee has filed for bankruptcy: Will we get in legal trouble if we fire her?