Q. It has come to my attention that one of our managers has posted his résumé on an online job board. Is it legal to ask him if he is actively looking for another job? If he is, do we have grounds to terminate him?
A. There is nothing illegal about asking that question or about terminating the manager if he is looking for work. That’s assuming you obtained the information in the normal course of business and would not be treating this manager differently than the way you have treated other employees.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Can you discipline workers for their raunchy Facebook postings?
- Give HR the last word on terminations: Supervisor bias can taint firing decisions
- Using FMLA leave to build a porch: Can that be legal?
- Easy come, easy go: Political appointees have little room to blame firings on bias