Q. Can we give ana bonus of extra vacation days in addition to the standard accrued time off outlined in our employee handbook?
A. Yes, you can do that, but it might be tricky to manage the process. For example, if you give one employee extra vacation days as a bonus, another employee a cash bonus and a third employee no bonus at all, you might be vulnerable to a claim of disparate treatment.
Therefore, you should think through carefully how you would administer this bonus policy. Ask: Under what circumstances would you award vacation days as a bonus? Would that be the only form of bonus you might award?
- Some computer jobs exempt from EPA/FLSA protection
- What kinds of employers does the Illinois Employee Classification Act cover?
- When workers must wear special gear, beware lawsuit if you don't pay for 'donning & doffing'
- Personnel files: Organize your paper trail to minimize legal risks
- Settlement may mean higher pay for pharma firm's N.J. women