Q. Can we give ana bonus of extra vacation days in addition to the standard accrued time off outlined in our ?
A. Yes, you can do that, but it might be tricky to manage the process. For example, if you give one employee extra vacation days as a bonus, another employee a cash bonus and a third employee no bonus at all, you might be vulnerable to a claim of disparate treatment.
Therefore, you should think through carefully how you would administer this bonus policy. Ask: Under what circumstances would you award vacation days as a bonus? Would that be the only form of bonus you might award?
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Mere guessing at compensation disparity won't help employee win EPA lawsuit
- Beware of a growing risk: harassment by customers
- In California, raise arbitration issue before administrative hearing on unpaid wages
- Independent contractor alert: Feds on the lookout for misclassification