• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

How should we handle 1099s for retirees we can’t track down?

by on
in Office Management,Payroll Management

Question: Three retirees receive monthly pension checks. Two have stopped cashing them and the post office keeps returning the other retiree’s check as undeliverable. We’ve searched the obituaries and looked in our old HR files for their next of kin, but we’ve come up empty. We have to provide Forms 1099-R to them by the end of this month. What do we do?

Answer: For the moment, you should keep on trying to locate these retirees. You can look at previously canceled checks to get the name of their banks. The banks may not be able to provide you with specific information, but they may be able to contact the individuals or their next of kin. You must still prepare Forms 1099-R and send them to the addresses you have. If the post office returns them as undeliverable, retain the forms, and the envelopes, for at least four years.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/34053/how-should-we-handle-1099s-for-retirees-we-cant-track-down "

Leave a Comment