Do not assume that only U.S. citizens are authorized to work in the United States. Thus, avoid the following language in your job postings:
- “Only U.S. Citizens”
- “Citizenship requirement”*
- “Only U.S. Citizens or Green Card Holders”
- “H-1Bs Only”
- “Must have a U.S. Passport”
- “Must have a green card”
* Unless U.S. citizenship is required by law, regulation, executive order or government contract.
Source: U.S. Department of Justice
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Supreme Court: Title VII deadline clock resets with each new biased decision
- Our summer hires from last year are back--are they 'new' employees?
- Instruct supervisors: No work before official hire date
- Look for 'success factors' in interviews