Do not assume that only U.S. citizens are authorized to work in the United States. Thus, avoid the following language in your job postings:
- “Only U.S. Citizens”
- “Citizenship requirement”*
- “Only U.S. Citizens or Green Card Holders”
- “H-1Bs Only”
- “Must have a U.S. Passport”
- “Must have a green card”
* Unless U.S. citizenship is required by law, regulation, executive order or government contract.
Source: U.S. Department of Justice
- What can we ask about how applicant would get to work?
- Can we make this hire? Confidentiality agreement doesn't include a noncompete
- What adding more college graduates buys for employers
- You can't hide behind your vendor! Before relying on tests, be sure they're valid
- Use business necessity as rationale for pre-Employment exams