Do not assume that only U.S. citizens are authorized to work in the United States. Thus, avoid the following language in your job postings:
- “Only U.S. Citizens”
- “Citizenship requirement”*
- “Only U.S. Citizens or Green Card Holders”
- “H-1Bs Only”
- “Must have a U.S. Passport”
- “Must have a green card”
* Unless U.S. citizenship is required by law, regulation, executive order or government contract.
Source: U.S. Department of Justice
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Experience isn't the only valid qualification; document differences between applicants
- Asking worker to fetch coffee may be old-school, but is it harassment?
- Encouraging diversity: Lessons from Supreme Court's affirmative-action rulings
- 3 keys to attracting top talent