Q. If we have several qualified applicants for a job, are we required to select a qualified applicant with a disability over other applicants without a disability?
A. No, you are required to treat the applicant with a disability the same as nondisabled applicants. You do not have to give an “edge” to a disabled applicant, unless you are a government contractor. If that is the case, you should affirmatively recruit qualified disabled applicants.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- For young workers, what's the new American Dream?
- Lessons from the 2006 SHRM conference: Do you really need to offer that employee benefit?
- E-Verify: E is for error 54% of the time, study says
- Make sure managers know laws against employee discrimination