Q. If we have several qualified applicants for a job, are we required to select a qualified applicant with a disability over other applicants without a disability?
A. No, you are required to treat the applicant with a disability the same as nondisabled applicants. You do not have to give an “edge” to a disabled applicant, unless you are a government contractor. If that is the case, you should affirmatively recruit qualified disabled applicants.
- Perry Mason meets e-Bay: Should you shop for lawyers online?
- Keep hiring as objective as possible -- and beware loose criteria that could let in bias
- Use new IRS form to claim HIRE Act tax breaks
- Don't bury FMLA leave taker in catch-up work
- Make sure your policy is understood before rejecting applicants because of bankruptcy