Q. One of our office managers regularly receives after-hours calls from our landlord about buildingissues. Are we required to pay her overtime compensation for the resulting hours she works over eight in one day or over 40 in one week?
A. One of the most costly lawsuits employers face involves misclassification ofas though they were exempt from California’s overtime compensation laws.
There are many factors to keep in mind when making the decision of whether your employees are exempt or nonexempt.
Generally, to be classified as exempt, most California employees must customarily and regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment in their jobs. In addition,, generally, must earn a minimum monthly salary of no less than two times California’s minimum wage.
The federal and state requirements differ with regard to the application of exemptions to employees.
There are nine categories of exemption from overtime requirements under the Fair Labor Standards Act (). California’s Industrial Welfare Commission (IWC) Orders recognize eight categories of exemption (with a ninth category added by the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2012 opinion on pharmaceutical sales representatives). These include, among others, the executive exemption, the learned professional exemption, the creative professional exemption and the administrative exemption.
An office manager might be exempt from theunder the administrative exemption. This exemption applies to employees who:
- Are paid at least twice the minimum wage
- Perform administrative work, defined as office or nonmanual work “directly related to management policies or general business operations of his/her employer or his/her employer’s customers”
- Have primary duties that involve administrative work
- Discharge those duties by “customarily and regularly exercising discretion and independent judgment.”
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- TGI Fridays served with class action in N.Y. court
- Unauthorized overtime is your problem! Take steps to stop it--and punish rule-breakers
- Are there any downsides to paying a holiday premium to exempt employees?
- Are computer programmers exempt from overtime in California?