No federal employment law specifically prohibits job discrimination against domestic violence victims. But a new Q&A fact sheet from the EEOC clarifies that Title VII and the ADA “may apply to employment situations involving applicants and employees who experience domestic or dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking.” You may need to update your anti-bias and anti-harassment training.
Access the full Q&A here.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Shut down demeaning name-calling ASAP--or else prepare to pay for your 'tolerance'
- Investigating EEOC complaint? You're protected from retaliation, too
- Isolated comments aren't enough to prove discrimination
- Ensure harassment victim knows you want her to stay