This year, completing W-2 forms will be even more challenging for employers that must report employees’ health benefits. Critical due dates: Employees must receive their copies by Jan. 31, 2013. The Social Security Administration (SSA) must receive paper forms by Feb. 28, 2013; e-filers must file by April 1, 2013.
Here’s the scoop on what you need to know to get W-2s right the first time.
Health benefits reporting. If you filed at least 250 W-2s for 2011, report the aggregate cost of employees’ health benefits in Box 12, with Code DD. Reminder: The aggregate cost includes the employer and employee shares of group health insurance that’s excludable from employees’ incomes under tax code Section 106. Use the COBRA valuation, minus the 2% surcharge.
Common W-2 err...(register to read more)
- Payroll and Accounts Payable: Essential friends and allies
- Congress begins debate on paid-leave bill; Obama OKs same-sex benefits for federal workers
- TIGTA: Employers not taking the health care credit
- Can you force a worker to get FMLA certification?
- New Purdue University policy grants paid parental leave