Q. One of our managers resigned a month ago, but she applied fora day before she quit. Are we under any obligation to return her to a position from which she resigned? Are we obligated to offer her a job when expires?
A. Was her resignation effective immediately or at sometime in the future? Once she resigned, she was no longer an employee and has no continuing right to FMLA. She is not entitled to reinstatement if she would no longer be employed even if she had not applied for FMLA.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- If employee gives late FMLA notice, when must you cut slack?
- Intermittent FMLA leave is a pain, but don't deny it for that reason
- Get ready for more changes as the DOL launches a study of how employees use the FMLA
- Employees don't have to exhaust paid sick leave before taking FMLA