Q. One of our managers resigned a month ago, but she applied fora day before she quit. Are we under any obligation to return her to a position from which she resigned? Are we obligated to offer her a job when expires?
A. Was her resignation effective immediately or at sometime in the future? Once she resigned, she was no longer an employee and has no continuing right to FMLA. She is not entitled to reinstatement if she would no longer be employed even if she had not applied for FMLA.
- Avoid stricter notification policy than FMLA requires
- How not to handle FMLA leave: Bank learns the hard way that following the law isn't optional
- Mistake on FMLA coverage may not sink employer's case
- Watch calendar to keep clear of intermittent-Leave trap
- FMLA: Treat leave request involving adult children similarly to those involving parents