Arlington-based Espitia Cleaning Inc. agreed to pay $53,095 in back wages to 130 current and former janitors following a U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) investigation. The DOL’s Wage and Hour Division found the company paid janitors “straight time” for all hours worked, even beyond 40 hours per week. The company also failed to keep accuraterecords.
Espitia provides janitorial services to large retail companies in Amarillo, Chatfield, Dallas, Fort Worth, Garland, Grand Prairie, Kerrville, Longview, Midland, Tyler and Wichita Falls, as well as in Bossier City, La.
The company has paid back wages in full and agreed to fully comply with the Fair Labor Standards Act in the future.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Off-hours training: Paid or unpaid?
- Business facing financial difficulties? Don't let supervisors alter hours worked
- Do tips count as pay for the purpose of calculating an employee's overtime rate of pay?
- New rules for commissioned sales employees?