A federal court has held that two doctors can sue over outrageous behavior in the operating room.
Recent case: Two Jewish anesthesiologists working for Aria Health can sue over another doctor’s behavior, which they allege caused them severe emotional distress. They alleged that a surgeon with whom they regularly worked made comments about their Jewish roots.
Then, during an operation, one of the anesthesiologists pointed out that there was air in a surgical tube. The surgeon allegedly exclaimed, “I don’t f***ing care, start the mother***ing pump, she’s going to die anyway.”
Plus, the same doctor allegedly once waved a bloody catheter at one of the anesthesiologists.
The court said the case could go to trial based on outrageous behavior. (Ginsburg, et al., v. Aria Health, et al., No. 12-1140, ED PA, 2012)
- Feel free to impose legitimate discipline on employee, even if she's on FMLA leave
- Court Administrator's Job Cut by Bible-Thumping Judge
- Track accommodation process to pinpoint ADA breakdown
- We're going to be slammed this month! Must we let employee remain on FMLA leave?
- Take extra anti-harassment steps with young staff