Q. We plan on hiring a college intern later this year. Will we have to pay him or her?
A. Generally, yes, unless the internship is an educational program primarily for the benefit of the intern, as opposed to a situation where the intern is performing work that would otherwise have to be performed by a paid employee.
The U.S. Department of Labor issued a fact sheet explaining the six factors it considers in assessing whether an intern is performing work for which he or she should be paid:
- The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment.
- The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern.
- The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff.
- The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; on occasion its operations may actually be impeded.
- The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship.
- The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.
If all six of the factors are met, then the intern is not considered an employee and does not need to be paid. If, on the other hand, one or more of the factors is not met, you should pay the intern.
Access the DOL fact sheet here.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/33344/must-we-pay-an-intern-we-plan-to-bring-in "