• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Back-to-school on dependent care credits

by on
in Small Business Tax,Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies

Q. I’m interested in the dependent care credit. Can we qualify if my wife goes back to school for her master's degree? P.P.R., Briar Cliff Manor, N.Y.

A. Potentially, yes. A couple is eligible to claim the credit if one spouse works full time and the other is a full-time student at an educational institution for at least five calendar months during the year. This meets the tax law requirement for both spouses to be “gainfully employed.” But the law also assumes that the earned income for each month your spouse is in school is only $250 if you’re paying to care for one qualifying child; $500 for two or more qualifying children.

Tip: For married couples, qualifying expenses are limited to the earned income of the lower-earning spouse.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/33330/back-to-school-on-dependent-care-credits "

Leave a Comment